Friday, December 07, 2018

THINGS THIS WEEK

Paul had three doctors' appointments this week; he went to Tupelo once alone and I went with him the second time.  He's learned he has emphysema.  That is just a foreign word that you never expect to hear of you or a loved one, but Mama had breathing problems (not dx as that) and I have "mild" COPD.  So the doctor wants to watch a spot on his lung with no biopsy at this time because he has had two blood clots and is on blood thinner.  These old bodies get more intricate to maintain.  The other concern was a high PSA number which the urologist could find no cause for - all those tests were fine.  Maybe it was to find the lung condition.  It has to be a disappointment and a concern for the future, though he rarely ever expresses that.  His mood just gets cross, so I know he's not feeling well at times and I try to be patient, as I am most sure he tries with me.  Fifty years together will do that for you.  Thank you, Lord, for being with us.

I had my permanent crown put on yesterday.  It was a breeze.  I only had to take one valium.  I only take those because my blood pressure spikes...  Another of those fine tunings.

The club met yesterday afternoon and I went after all because I wasn't groggy.  We turned in pecan money and just had a good time together.  I brought Subway sandwiches home for Paul's supper; Brenda I was hostess this time.  

Maxine had the program and this poem was part of her devotional:

THE STATION
By Robert J. Hastings

TUCKED AWAY in our subconscious minds is an idyllic vision in which we see ourselves on a long journey that spans an entire continent. We’re traveling by train and, from the windows, we drink in the passing scenes of cars on nearby highways, of children waving at crossings, of cattle grazing in distant pastures, of smoke pouring from power plants, of row upon row upon row of cotton and corn and wheat, of flatlands and valleys, of city skylines and village halls.
But uppermost in our conscious minds is our final destination–for at a certain hour and on a given day, our train will finally pull into the Station with bells ringing, flags waving, and bands playing. And once that day comes, so many wonderful dreams will come true. So restlessly, we pace the aisles and count the miles, peering ahead, waiting, waiting, waiting for the Station.

“Yes, when we reach the Station, that will be it!” we promise ourselves. “When we’re eighteen. . . win that promotion. . . put the last kid through college. . . buy that 450SL Mercedes-Benz. . . have a nest egg for retirement!” From that day on we will all live happily ever after.
Sooner or later, however, we must realize there is no Station in this life, no one earthly place to arrive at once and for all. The journey is the joy. The Station is an illusion–it constantly outdistances us. Yesterday’s a memory, tomorrow’s a dream. Yesterday belongs to a history, tomorrow belongs to God. Yesterday’s a fading sunset, tomorrow’s a faint sunrise. Only today is there light enough to love and live.

So, gently close the door on yesterday and throw the key away. It isn’t the burdens of today that drive men mad, but rather the regret over yesterday and the fear of tomorrow. Regret and fear are twin thieves who would rob us of today.

“Relish the moment” is a good motto, especially when coupled with Psalm 118:24, “This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.”

So stop pacing the aisles and counting the miles. Instead, swim more rivers, climb more mountains, kiss more babies, count more stars. Laugh more and cry less. Go barefoot oftener. Eat more ice cream. Ride more merry-go-rounds. Watch more sunsets. Life must be lived as we go along. The Station will come soon enough.

Former President George H. W. Bush was laid to rest - beautiful services - in state at the Capitol, service at the National Cathedral, funeral and interment in Texas. His library on Texas A&M campus.  The Bush family.  Close, stately, honorable.  End of an era, they say.  But I think the "news" is responsible for most of the strife and division in our government today.  There was not that when he was President.  

Yes, every day God gives us blessings, sometimes just the quietness of the moment and awareness of His Presence.  It is big, it is enough.

Amy turned 45 this week (4th).  Paul said it didn't seem like it.  That's pretty emotional for him.  Nor does it seem like we'll have our 50th wedding anniversary on the 23rd.  The years go so fast.  (See above poem...)

Tuesday we also went to Aqua Grille at the state line for the car club Christmas party.  We sat across from a couple we had not met before and in our conversation learned he also has a-fib.  His cpap is set on 19.  Mine is on 7.  He takes amiodarone, also.  He's had to have his heart shocked to get back in rhythm.  He had the best sense of humor and laughed a lot.  They know Mike and Marsha.  There are blessings wherever you go, whomever you meet.

Paul went Tuesday I think and got sausage from Powell's.  That's our Christmas contribution to breakfast at Sandra and David's.  (It was my turn to have it here, but she practically insisted she wanted to do it, so I let her.  She decorates so beautifully (I have no tree up even yet, though I intend a small one); they have lots more room.  I think they want to have as many there as possible for David to be at home with Christmas memories there.

It's raining.  Misty.  I slept till 8:30.  Paul had fed Oscar so I didn't need to get up - I was up last night at midnight and watched The Christmas Chronicles (Kurt Russell).  Very good, magical.  Good on iPad - wish I could see on a 50" screen!  

It seems like Saturday.  Brooks has a three day sale.  Biscuits I use are on sale 2/$4.  Need bread, a few other things.  Get up, get my shower and get out for a bit.  I guess I won't melt.


No comments: