Friday, July 27, 2018

MY FRIDAY

I've claimed Fridays as "My Fridays," doing basic routine household things, and the rest of  the time doing what I want to. That sounds pretty strange for someone who's retired, but on Fridays I try to have guilt-free time.  The floors can wait till next week.  I've learned it's not the height of slovenliness to not dust every week. So I've made a 36-patch quilt block this morning to go with my other two.  My GO Cutter will make 2.5" blocks (unfinished), which is what I'm using.  And I've had the thing over a year.  I think it's time to try it out.  

Betty Boop is from a scrap 5" block I didn't use in the baby quilts.  Her legs were too "grown up" for a child!


I made the bottom block of the two blocks some time ago and decided to "play" and maybe finish up a lap quilt.  But then there's the batting, backing, quilting, binding.  Probably a job for Theresa in Corinth.  I really don't mind the binding, but the quilting just kills my neck and back.  It isn't easy to do on a regular sewing machine (for me) either.

I knew this, but now I know from experience - batik doesn't have the same stretch as regular cotton.  The weave is tighter and whatever size it's cut is the size it's gonna be.  Surprisingly, these have all turned out pretty square.



It rained this morning some, cloudy now (almost 1:00), has been pretty nice out temperature-wise.  

The county mower is mowing right-of-way across the road.  I hope he gets the sides of the road, too, not just those little corners at the crossroads.  He's been there a while.  

I saw this FB post this morning from Carolyn's sister Tina.  May not be very legible, but it's good.  I asked the name of the devotional books.


Charlotte and I began encouraging each other in our quiet time a few months ago, and her encouragement and being accountable has helped me so much.  We use Jesus Calling a lot.  I have YouVersion on phone app and there are short series of devos, anywhere from 3-14 days I've found so far.  Anyway, it helps - praying, trying to sit quietly and just be, just listen.  I also watch Joyce Meyer a few mornings a week.  She has good teachings.

So now to my GO Cutter.  

No comments: