Sunday, January 24, 2016


A week ago today (Sunday, January 17, Aunt Ginny had a stroke, most likely, or tia. Nevertheless, she "high-centered" her car on the rocks lining her driveway and when she got out, she fell down the slope and was there for probably two hours. Sarah Hayes couldn't get her by phone after church, so she came to check on her. Aunt G was freezing cold, having only her knit church suit (skirt and jacket), no coat. I called 911 and the Harmony Fire Dept first responders came. We put coats around and over her. The ambulance came and took her to Iuka Hospital, where they determined probably a stroke, and transferred her to Tupelo. She's been there a week today and Paul, David, Tommy and Glenda have been taking turns 24/7 staying with her. Thursday, though, she was agitated to the point they had to give her Respidol to calm her. It's been an up/down week. There is a 24/7 sitter (hospital personnel) with her the last two days, after the Respidol, so no one is going today. Her doctor there said there is nothing else they can do for her, so there are orders to transfer her back to Iuka to swing bed. That's short-term, of course - Medicare policy. She has been responsive at times, though probably had another stroke Tuesday night, early Wednesday morning. She can answer questions, but they often or most of the time are not the right answers. She's thought she was in Pickwick, Atlanta and Memphis; she's talked about Mama Nick and Wendell.  After swing bed, which "they" (medical people I guess) try to not use all at once - 20 days maximum (unsure about this), I doubt she will be able to stay at home. I just can' see it, though she has recovered from things before. Carrington House would not be an option b/c it's an assisted living facility. So that leaves one of the nursing homes... I just hate the thought of her being in a nursing home. The only one I've ever been in that seemed really clean and "cheerful" was where Aunt Margaret was. Sometimes that's all the choice there is. It is just sad, this elegant, precise, organized, Southern lady would go to a nursing home. It is sad for anyone. It is just "out of character." Why can't there be places for senior citizens who are cared for by real professional degreed nurses who aren't paid minimum wage and some who care less? So I suppose there are degreed people who care less, also. It's just a whirl of what-ifs. You just do what you have to.

For my little part, I cleaned her kitchen, froze some meat she had just bought and have collected her mail. I probably need to clean her refrigerator - I know there is some pork loin in it I took her late Saturday (last) evening. I miss her so much. Her very simple, clean, uncluttered little cottage of a house set back from the road surrounded by shrubs, flowers, trees that Uncle Wendell set out, from old home places, to new bulbs from garden centers.

I keep thinking, I'll call and check on AG. Or, I'll take her some of this or that I'm cooking.

And I thought I had a problem with my heater in driver seat (really, in view of every other major thing that's going on...) anyway, I took my car to Muscle Shoals Wednesday and got it Friday. Nothing wrong with it.

Thursday we went to Memphis for my cardio appointment and my thyroid level is 9.6, down from 16 something. Still too high, so Dr. Johnson increased the levothyroxine to 75 mcg, which he said is still a low dose. I said I didn't want to stop taking the 100 mg of amiodarone because it had helped so much. So hopefully this will level out. He said the thyroid would recover if I stopped the amiodarone... 

Then yesterday I had a strange black thready floater in my left eye, twice. I've had floaters, but none like this. It was a little dark spot, then seemed to unravel, which makes me wonder if it was a blood vessel, which is scary. I'll call tomorrow and see if I need to go. I was just at Dr. Wooten's last Monday and my pressure was good and when he looked with the bright light, all was good. 

I missed early church this morning. I wasn't quite ready and I would make us late, so Paul went on. I know this is awful, or is it, it's what I think: I don't care for the praise music and the loud guitar/music. Two weeks ago I had to get up during one of the songs because the guitar percussion was so loud and intense. The congregation (who can) remains standing for at least 20 minutes, which, come on, really, is nothing... but I don't because of my feet, legs and back. Several others remain seated, too, so it's not a huge thing if you can't stand, but why? And I don't mean this negatively or critically, but I don't particularly like being "yelled" at during preaching, which can also be very loud.  Brother Johnny preaches "evangelistically," which is wonderful, dear Lord, you know my heart! I just like quiet , softness, calmness, and being taught, you know. Noise. An excuse in this case? No, I love church and my church family. I'm going through something right now. If Paul would go to second service - the traditional hymns and music. Well, there are my thoughts... I'm sure I'll be convicted and may come back to delete all this. 

Yesterday we went to see Morgan, Tyler and little Addilyn. She's such a pretty baby. I learned all about the "new" cloth diapers, which can cost $20 each, but are adjustable sizes infant through potty-training. I had no idea when Morgan said she was using cloth. I thought, cotton and diaper pins. These have elastic legs, snaps and cotton padded inserts and all can be washed repeatedly. I think of all the diapers we bought and threw away. Mothers have such conveniences now. It's wonderful.


And there's this little sweetie - Shiloh Woodruff, who is already a month old.

We also had a snow this week, nothing compared to DC and all the east coast - Sher's car is buried in snow about 30-40" deep. She tried to remove some of the snow yesterday and made herself sick. I worry. I mean, imagine a 62 year old who is in good shape out trying to shovel this out - her's is on the left. She admitted she can't do it.

No comments: