Friday, October 09, 2015


My father died. On October 2, my father died. I didn't have a relationship with him because he and Mama divorced when I was two. He moved north, we stayed south. I went to high school with cousins I'd never known. When we moved back home after retiring, I learned I had so many cousins, and they all loved me. And I love them. I've said and thought so many times, His loss. Nevertheless, it is sad. I grieved all that never was and could have been and never will be. I have three brothers (half) that I've never known. Many nephews and nieces. Another whole way of life from "up north." But as it turned out in the end, all I wanted was for him to be at peace, and I'm thankful for my life in the south, with southern roots, Mama, Goobie, Papa, Oldham, Iuka, my real sister and brothers, Paul, Amy. Of course I wouldn't have known any different had it been another path, but I'm thankful for this one, even though at times it was so very heard.

The only picture I have of him and Mama together.

Luther Howard Thorne - August 4, 1926 - October 2, 2015
Buried at National Cemetery in Holly, Michigan
Everyone called him "Coot." I never could because he just wasn't to me -
 just Luther because I never knew him.


The day after I learned he died (cousin Patsy texted me), I went on to my Five and Dime Quilt Class at Treasure Chest. It was a good thing, and good for me that I went. What else could I have done? Love going to classes there. Fun, learn, people!

Tara working on placement of blocks. Here is a link to YouTube video of how it's done. Easy peasy.

Teresa, Treasure Chest owner, teacher, sweet friend. Judy to her right is from near Tupelo, over an hour away. Teresa's son Preston built these design walls, nearly the whole length of the classroom. 

Deb (she had to leave early) looking at quilts, I think she's looking at the finished Five and Dime. Mine will look a lot like this big one, many of the same colors - red, teal, orange, green. My fabric design is Hello, Darling.

My blocks all sewn and quartered. Teresa helped me choose the borders. I knew which backing and binding I wanted.  Teresa's ordering me a "moveable" design wall that just hangs by grommets. I think I know an empty space or two to put it. Over closet doors... They're really great and helpful to have.

Lynn getting her Bandana squares lined up.

Judy is a retired teacher. Someone guessed that, after Judy told me, she's just so organized and neat. Very sweet lady.

Tara making progress. 

The two Nancys. Jonesy on the left, Nancy on the right. 


Some of my blocks laid out.

It isn't so much about the quilts - they are beautiful and represent hours of patience and work. Part of the process is this - the deciding, playing, cutting, placing. Like coloring or painting with fabric. As enjoyable as cross-stitching used to be to me when I could see well enough to do it!

I have a long list of things to do. Writing and seeing progress helps me stay organized.

Oh! When I went to see my cousin Edwina in the hospital Monday afternoon - remind me about Monday morning - I stopped on my way home at Goodwill. Found a Singer 150th Anniversary sewing machine - $25. Everything worked - no feet - but interchangeable with another of my machines. Cleaned out the bobbin case and all that underneath. Sews like a charm. Manual - has knobs for adjusting everything and for different stitches. Model 3820.

Edwina had a light stroke and was going home that afternoon I went to see her. Her sister Anita was there with her, also her beautician Juanita, whom I'd met about 5 years ago. Ed was very fortunate - she is able to walk, and only had a little trouble with words. Later I learned from Harold, her son-in-law she refused PT. Sounds like her... Hope she doesn't regret that!

Yesterday we had a good and short meeting of 20th Century Club. New member Mayecille Hart who is also in my Sunday School class, along with Joy. I was hostess and made Slice of Heaven cake, which Sue had seen on FB and said she'd like to have. So I did. 

My Slice of Heaven cake.

Sue and Macey.

Jo, our President.

 I served refreshments.

Joy has the sweetest smile and always looks like her name - Joy! She had the program.

Candy we brought for Trunk or Treat.

Some of the toys, clothes we brought for Operation Christmas Child - Shoe Box ministry through Samaritan's Purse.

Maxine, Fredda and Zenobia. Z will soon be 96!

Brenda, Sue and Macey.

Now, on to other projects - many to finish and some new ones. Melanie and Nate may come while Sher is here just under a month from now. I need to finish Sher's centerpiece; I ordered two pieces of flannel today for Amy some PJs. That's all till first week of November. Then it's Christmas things - whether to do some little thing for the Club members; make Tyler's quilt. Morgan's baby girl due in January. Whitney's baby due just before Christmas. New medicine to get used to. Laundry to do (constantly). Meals, showers, haircuts, Oscar groomed first of December... I know - looking too far ahead. One day at a time. Or as my devotional said yesterday - God may have a Plan B that is better. I'm thankful for the days I can sew and play and create. Oh, and there's the pillow case dresses to finish and the red checked bias binding to make...

Monday morning - I went to Nelda Jones's home and met Emily Green and Jean Crain there for a sewing morning. We sorted ribbons and trim, decided on which goes on what pillow case and sewed some. I finished one, brought 2 home. I have pockets to put on one, another one I'd gotten from Emily a week or so ago, still just a pillow case. Jean had brought fresh tomatoes she'd grown and a loaf of bread and that's what we had for lunch when we finished up around noon. Jean went on to Needlechasers but I didn't go this month. I just couldn't do it all. But I had a good day.

Well, then there was Wednesday - 6 month Medicare check-up at Dr. Robertson's. Labs showed high TSH - which means - low functioning thyroid - which means a new medicine - levothyroxine. I've felt so tired, and that's "adjustment" as Laura Haynes, Dr. Johnson's nurse told me. At the meeting yesterday I wondered if I'd get through, but I did. Today hasn't been as tiring. I did get Club minutes finished, pictures ordered, this brought to date. Three loads of laundry. A shower. Think what I could do if I had energy! Dr. R said likely the amiodarone is causing the thyroid not to function property. All these hormones and glands are so inter-related and complicated. I knew the amiodarone would/could cause some problems, and sure enough. There's the thyroid. Thank goodness for medicine. I think. JoAnn Grishmam Bolton's (classmate's) problem with the amiodarone was her vision and she finally had to have an ablation, too. My ablation came first, then the amio.So, yes, I'm thankful for every day and like one of my favorite quotes, "never, never, never give up."

No comments: