Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Busy Day at Home

I'm home for a while, at least until my trip to sister's later this spring. I hope. I think.

Busy doing errands today - Walmart, groceries. Went to the library and checked out some books, one of which is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, which I'd read about recently. The author (Rebecca Skloot) teaches creative nonfiction at University of Memphis. Her blog says she lives in New York. Maybe she was a writer in residence or visiting writer. I thought this was interesting, though. The library has beautiful spring flowers around the building. These are in front.
I'm famous, it seems, just by way of my retirement. Funny! Several people have seen the little story of my retirement in the Rural Arkansas Magazine, which I thought was well written by Carl Horton. The picture is one I had made for the last employee directory. The magazine archives link is just under Doug Rye's picture, but as of tonight, the March issue is not there yet. If I think about it I'll put up another link later. (Linkletter - remember that old show? I digress...) And it only took me 40 years to become famous!

Today is my oldest younger brother's birthday. (Mama named him Michael, how fittingly Irish. She used to say we were her "Pat and Mike." Very Irish.) He's 10 years younger than I am. He's Morgan's dad in the "Morgan's Shower" pictures below. He's a good guy and I love him so much - a great brother, husband, father, friend, Christian man. He's come a long way from throwing my and Sher's 45's like Frisbees and putting a little helpless kitty in the outhouse! Yes! And you know who saved it. And yes, we did have one of those tiny little buildings way behind the house. Not fancy. Just a one-seater. And we don't bake green birthday cakes for him any more. (Mama used to when he was little.) I hope he wore green today and didn't get pinched.

Amy and I "played" Wheel of Fortune via phone and texting this evening. When I was at her house, we watched this a lot of evenings. We both enjoy crossword puzzles, Scrabble, and Wheel. I know she misses O, and oh, me, too. I suggested she might think of getting a little house dog, but not really since she has two very big dogs already, and they eat like elephants!

Sher is going to enter three of her paintings (seascapes) in a juried show. I believe it's the 24th of this month. They have to be priced for sale, not that she's particularly interested in selling any of them. If she were to sell them, though, she would be happy. I think her main interest is just in having them judged and in participating. Her presentation to the Women's Art Group was successful, as I knew it would be. She had many comments from members who learned something new about Georgia O'Keeffe.

I got one of Mama's pictures reduced in size at the Walmart photo center today. Janette was so helpful - she came up with the solution to what I needed and reduced wallet sizes 3 times to get the size I needed for a project. A regular wallet size wouldn't fit and after "shrinking Alice" twice again, it worked! Great new HP photo machine there, too.

Oscar had to go back to the vet today. I thought it was the same problem, but his little tender bottom just had a case of "razor burn." Poor baby. Got a shot and medicine and he's much better. Little stinker weighs 16.1 pounds! He weighed 13.2 when we got him almost 4 years ago. I can't see where any of it is "fat." He was 18 months old when we got him, so really still just a puppy. He's stout as a little bull.
~~~~~
Tomorrow I'm getting a hair trim. There's a limit to how long I can stand it.
~~~~~
Tomorrow is our niece Jenni's birthday - She'll be graduating from MS State (Yea!) probably in December and plans to apply to medical school. How do these girls grow up so fast! Her sister Jess was/is in the Bahamas this week teaching a scuba diving class. She's certified and has done this a few other times, too. Another doctor in the making.
~~~~~
And thanks to Kaye Kaye for encouraging me to do the wedding pictures!!

No comments: