Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Counting Blessings

Can it get any worse for the people of Haiti? Yes, unfortunately. It is such a sad situation with the earthquake that occurred last night - a 7.0 magnitude, and the aftershocks almost as bad. The devastation, it is reported, has destroyed Port-au-Prince. Sher said her division is responsible for releasing funds for aid. Not sure exactly how that works, but any time there is a disaster of this magnitude and the U. S. is involved in relief, some funds are requested/released through her department. The TV coverage is so graphic, as well it should be so we can see the desperate need and respond in whatever way we can.

I am so thankful for my little house. I am. I stayed busy today and managed to squeeze in a nap. I washed sheets and changed beds this morning, then started on the pantry this afternoon. I'm thankful for the clean sheets and bed to sleep in. Oscar and I walk around 4:00; the sun hasn't begun to get too low, it isn't as cold this week. I'm thankful for good paved streets and a quiet, friendly neighborhood. I think he's adjusting to my being here.

I listened to Paul on the radio this morning, post-council meeting. He is at the Municipal League conference in Little Rock.
The redbirds, Mr. Squirrel, and a woodpecker were busy in the backyard this afternoon. I heard the woodpecker earlier then saw him on the corner of the neighbor's storage building. I pretty much feel I am finally home, not just at a way station on the way to work. I miss everyone, but I still am surprised when I think, Wow! This is not just a vacation! I don't have to hurry to get this done! I have never had this much time at home without being sick or recovering from something - having Amy, surgery, or a broken leg! I truly am greatful for the years I was able to work so I could manage to do this now.

Pecan harvest is about over; still a few nuts in the yard. The open hulls remind me of empty cotton bolls.

Woody seems to be trying to find a way in.



I think this is Mrs. Redbird.

Little Mister checking out his territory.

Bitty making her way to the door so she can curl up in her chair. She looks so big! Most of her is winter coat, but she has a pretty steady diet, too.

This feels good after a walk, but I can't leave it on too long. It's really dry, really warms up the place.

No comments: