Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sunday Afternoon

Paul has just left and Oscar and I are still at Amy's. I'm staying a while longer - because I can.

Paul came yesterday about 11:00 and got a new mower blade for Amy's lawn mower. I made spaghetti and he and I were just getting ready to eat and Amy called to say she was on her way home, about 6:00ish. She was full of stories from the FH and has absolutely loved working there this first week - loves the people, her boss, the extra work for the other FH. She's had her challenges with some equipment, but all her work has been successful.

We watched football games yesterday afternoon and it was good hearing that background noise, watching the game, having my family around me. Paul went to bed earlier than Amy and I did and we talked till about 11:00. She'd first layed down after supper for a much needed rest, but was up and we talked that long. She's in such good spirits and we're happy she finally got work in her field.

This morning I was the late riser and when I got up, the crick in my neck was worse. Oscar had found a way to jump up on the high bed and kept coming to check on me. Amy had to go to work by 10:30. After noon, Paul and I drove out to Wolf Chase/Germantown area looking for Hancock Fabrics. Finally found it and I got some pieces to make Sher a tabletop "Round the World" quilt. No surprise - I'd told her I was going to. "Bluey-green," she said. I got as near as I could. "You'll just have to take what I make," I told her. They had the decorator fabrics (60" wide) 40% off and I got a half yard of four of those in blue/yellow/white coordinates. I also got a rotary cutter and cutting mat. Maybe I can get started on that this week. Maybe I'll have it finished by the time I go see her sometime next year!

Paul drove out to Millington so I could see where Amy works - Northridge - and it was around 2:20. We knew she'd be directing a funeral at that time and there was a huge crowd. In fact, many were standing outside; I'm sure there was an overflow.

On the way home Mama Nick called. I felt so bad; I'd meant to call her all last week and had not. She said to ask Paul if he wanted his dad's tools and Paul said he did. "They're in the attic. He can get them next time he comes. I just thought of them one day and thought I better tell him." She'd gone all the way to Corinth one day this week (I didn't ask who took her - David, Sandra or Aunt Ginny probably) to see about her reading glasses. I know it's been two weeks since she told me about getting fitted for them. Hope she didn't make a special trip to check on them; surely they would call her when they're ready. But two weeks seems like a long time for reading glasses to be made.

About the time we started back my morning med began to wear off plus hunger set in. We stopped at McAllister's when we got back in Amy's neighborhood before going to get a few groceries. I took half a pill of the ones I carry with me and by the time we got to Super Lo the pain was easing up. We also stopped at Target for a non-slip bathtub mat which I forgot to get last time I went.

Oscar was glad to see his people; we got the groceries put away; got the bath mat in the tub; Paul went home. I told him I'd be home sometime this week - he knew where I was! He has at least two meetings this week, one of which is in Jonesboro.

Next Monday (21st) is my ortho doctor's appointment... He said it takes legs longer to heal that arms and generally 6-12 months. I'm so ready to be "normal" again! - have stamina, walk without a limp, walk up steps normally, not hurt, not take prescription pain reliever every day. I feel very unsure about being able to stay at work eight hours a day. (Really nine, counting lunch.) Maybe this is the new normal, as "they" say. Surely the pain will go away sometime? It hasn't helped that it's the same leg that I've had problems with sciatica and the neuroma on the bottom of my foot. Will I always hurt to some extent? Very possibly. How can I take med strong enough to alleviate the pain so I can work? Will I be able to walk or stand for more than 15 or 20 minutes without praying for relief, somewhere to sit or lie down, the line to hurry up and move forward? So far I've only used a scooter cart at Walmart; Target has them but I just didn't want to use one. I need to walk; but I'm so slow and if it weren't for the cart to lean on at times, I'd just sit in the floor and cry. I don't know if it's the days sort of running together or that I don't have so much that I have to remember, or for these weeks want to remember (just focusing on getting well and not being under so much stress), but - the days and weeks have all just seemed like one big block of timelessness. I haven't had a particular schedule; I've spent time with Amy. And yes, I've gotten pampered - by Paul, Amy and so many friends. I'm very grateful for them all.

Well, it happened. And I can't "unhappen" it. Just take one day at a time. Do what I can; pray for patience in waiting; pray for others who hurt - you know whatever situation you're in, you automatically see others in similar - using canes, walkers, wheelchairs, limping, holding on to friends or relatives for support. So must I hold on. Jesus is our Strong Tower, as I've been reminded this week.

No comments: