Sunday, September 28, 2008

Some Things

I was watching some old Cosby Show episodes the other night and noticed that Adriana Trigiani was one of the writers. She's the author of some good books I've read in recent past: the Stone Gap novels. Funny how years later connections pop up like that.

I was reading Kay Brawner's blog (The Butler Diaries) and saw her link to "goodreads.com." Reminded me that I'd started a similar list at LibraryThing.com some time ago. I've kept a book list here on the blog just because it's handy, but goodreads looks similar to LibraryThing and would be a good place to find recommendations or if you're just a list-keeper, to keep up with your books. Fun to look back at the ones I've forgotten I read or listened to on tape. Like The Tale of Despereaux by Kate Dicamillo, a wonderful children's book.

Last night I dreamed that our choir had built an underground maze of gorgeous rooms as some sort of way to raise money - for what was not quite clear. One room lead to another, to another. I dreamed that Leslie and Mary Claire (Proctor) now Caubble and Meier, respectively, were there with their children. At the end there was a white horse....

Today has been relatively quiet - I've not had the TV on at all, but listened to some CDs. Oscar has had a quiet day, too. Sometimes I wonder if the TV unnerves him since he's here all day with just the radio on low volume. I called Paul and Amy once to see how the races were going. Paul couldn't hear me, and I could hear the announcers in the background; Amy said they were about over and it was hot. I've had a roast cooking all day for supper in case they didn't want to eat afterward. They're probably both ready to be somewhere cool and quiet.

The "Discussion Draft" of House Resolution on the details of government bailout, begins:

"To provide authority for the Federal Government to purchase certain types of troubled assets for the purposes of providing stability to and preventing disruption in the economy and financial system and protecting taxpayers, and for other purposes."
Providing stability.
Preventing disruption.
Protecting taxpayers.
And for other purposes.

Ah, yes. Those "other purposes." And what might they be? That's sort of like tacking onto the end of a job description: And other duties as required. You never know.

I'm not a financial person by any means, but I do know I've worked a loooong time and hopefully have a pretty good retirement waiting for me in the not too distant future. I just hope it's there when the time comes. Our Sunday School lesson this morning was on faith. I will have to have faith it will be there - the hope of something unseen, except numbers on a page. And faith that God will provide. The financial geniuses and politicians for all their expertise, I suppose are doing the best they can - at least I hope so. I hope that during this election year it isn't strictly for their Party Purposes. But they can't see the future - only God can do that. And He will provide.

And, as Forrest Gump said, that's all I'm going to say about that!

No comments: