Thursday, September 25, 2008

Iuka Weekend Part 3


Saturday morning of our visit, Bren helped with a friend's bridal luncheon, so Sher and I went to the Apron Museum on Eastport Street. We met the owner who gave us a good background of how the museum came to be, some of which I don't recall, but basically, she didn't want to work in a law firm any more and decided to do something with all the wonderful things she had collected over the years. "One morning, I woke up," is how she put it. Her main collection is aprons. I had no idea they came in so many shapes, sizes, and intricately designed and sewn patterns - truly works of art! She allowed pictures inside her shop, which is one of four adjoining buildings on that street. In another building she later plans to open a small independent bookstore. She told us about the antique apron show later that day, which she'd be presenting, at the old Tishomingo County Courthouse. This now houses the county museum and historical and genealogical archives, and Sher and I did go. (No pictures allowed of those aprons.)


Sher (below, right) and Carolyn Childs, owner of the shop, with some of the aprons.


Carolyn had scores of aprons, many of which are antique, displayed on "clotheslines." Some were for sale, some not. She was very enthusiastic about her collection and showed us several books about apron collections. I had never thought about aprons being collectors' items, but they are unique and have been treasured by many folks through the years. At the museum later that day, we saw her collection on loan from a musuem in another state and she displayed and told about each one. We were able to touch and handle the aprons if we put on the white gloves she and her assistant furnished to the audience. The detailed handwork was amazing and some of the applique was not distinguishable from machine stitching unless you looked at the back of the piece.

I liked this one because I remembered Daddy Nick had been in the Army Air Corps during the war.

It's sometimes as easy as clicking your red-jeweled shoes together!

A long row of aprons for sale.

Carolyn had several bird houses for sale, too, in different styles and colors.


I think these were pot holders, but each one was hand-sewn and appliqued.

Crocheted dish cloths or pot holders. The very smallest rosette ones have a particular name but I can't remember it. I have a few small antique ones like that I got from Aunt Clara and Arie's store many years ago. (They're round and shaped like flowers, even with green crocheted petals.)


Sher gave me an apron of Goobie's several years ago and I had it framed in a shadow-box and hung it beside the washer. I also have one of Mama Nick's that's been well-used (from when I did cook) and I've had it about as long as Paul and I have been married. I need to hand-wash, iron and display it. Either Mama Nick or Mother Ruth (her mother) made it. About twenty years ago for Christmas, I made Mama Nick an apron with rows of pleats around the bottom edge. She still wore it at Christmas time when she cooked breakfast, and David even wore it year before last when he and I made Christmas Breakfast.

Sher and I each bought about a yard of very soft vintage cream-colored cotton, muslin or linen, for $3 each. I have no idea what I'll do with it, but it had such a good texture.

To be continued...

No comments: