Wednesday, January 09, 2008

On the Verge of Greatness

Every time I get my right arm in a really, truly painful position, where I just have to sqeeze my eyes shut and bite my lip, I think of what the doctor said yesterday: "You're on the verge of greatness." He said he doesn't even discuss surgery with patients who have as good a range of motion as I do, not that I wanted to discuss it anyway.

Now that the holidays are over there is nothing to distract me (really?) from doing my exercises. He said I have no excuse and to keep me accountable, he wants to see me again in a month. So back to a serious regimen of pulley, exercise bar, weight, and strengthening band, plus using my fingers to climb up the wall with my arm, from the front and from the side. Twice a day. I have to remember to stretch my arm out at work, too, because eight hours or thereabout of being at the computer does tend to keep it in one position for too long.

Just those few words were like a balm, a good medicine, an incentive, a "small bag of candy" (Deborah Norville, Thank You Power) to help me get back in the routine. And strive for greatness... A day at a time.

No comments: