Friday, January 04, 2008

Did I Say Declutter?

Amy and I text message each other only when absolutely necessary.

But I called today to see about the TM plans my wireless provider has. TMs are 15c a message. Since November 21, I have sent/received 46 TMs. That's almost $7.00. ATT's "starter" plan is $4.99 a month, so I signed me up. (Hers is unlimited.)

When I first got a cell phone, "all I wanted" was enough to call someone in an emergency. (That would be 911, but I had several minutes starting out. Oh, okay - the next plan wasn't so much, add a few more minutes. And a few more. And a couple new phones over the years. One with a camera. One in the potty. Insurance coverage.

I learned this morning that even if I press the internet button by mistake, ATT doesn't know it's a mistake and if it ever connects there's a charge. Apparently I've done this a time or two. Games are included and I do recall sort of looking at them. Games? I didn't even know they were on the internet part of it.

But a cell phone is almost indispensable now. I feel safer having it, especially on trips by myself. Even though I pretty well know if I had trouble it would be in the areas I know that have no service - in that flat part between the embankment of trees on Hwy 64; the exact spot on the Ridge beyond which there is no service till the other side of the tree embankments; the Mississippi hills especially below the weigh station near Mike's. (We would have to stand out in Mama's yard in certain spots to make calls on our cell phones.) I think I've done okay with the plans I've had over the years. I have minutes I don't use. I have rollover minutes I don't use. So I've not felt the need to upgrade every time there is a new plan. The starter plan for TMs is just right for me and Amy. Until I begin sending images. Or downloading ring tones. Or playing games.

There is more than one kind of clutter.

(And today is Goobie's birthday.)

No comments: