Tuesday, January 01, 2008

January 1, 2008

I hear my "morning mood" wind chimes today - it is very windy. I made myself some oatmeal, toast, decaf and Oscar begged for all of it. He only got 3 smidgens of toast crust this morning. Begging has to stop. He needs to eat better, too.

My last day off work for a while. Since it is already 9:25, I need to get up and do something, like tackle the utility room.


Later:

I did straighten up the utility room and put the home-ground corn meal from Bren/Jim in the freezer.
Carol called to wish me Happy New Year and thanks for last night's get-together. She was going to clean up Glen's shop this afternoon.

The Bible reading this morning was Philippians 3:13-14 - to press on toward the goal set before us. On down in verse 16, Paul writes: "Only let us live up to what we have already attained." That is a goal in itself for the New Year! Living up to... what Christ has done for us, has provided for us. Living what we already know. What good is "more" if I don't put into practice what I've already so graciously and generously been given. This verse can apply to many different aspects of life, not only spiritual.


...and later...


This afternoon I went to Joy and John's to see Julia. Today is John's birthday, too. Well, Julia, I can see how your back will probably hurt you when you have to lie in your bed... if you ever do!



















Sweet, sweet, beautiful little girl.

~~~

Amy and I text-messaged each other a few times today; she had to go to work at 2 and evidently was busy. She said she'd call when she could. She saw Elbert Person at the FH recently; he was there for visitation for someone he knew.

When I got home from Joy's, I took several things from the garage closet for Carol's sister Ann. While I was cooking spaghetti for supper, Carol came by for them and returned the jacket she borrowed last night when they left.

Oscar is sitting in my lap; he's been with me so much these last few days I've been off. I know we'll miss each other! I stood looking out my back door at the sunny day, though I knew icy cold wind was slicing through the trees and wind chimes, and thought to myself, now why is it I'm going back to work? If I'd stayed with my original plan, I'd probably be getting the first of my pension by this week. I found a long-forgotten red sweater in the garage closet that I'll take to work for emergencies, which will be every day until May, probably. I'm using two heaters in my office. Hopefully, my sinus infection is steadily retreating under this massive attack by amoxicillin. Anyway, I wondered... Why would I be leaving my nice, warm, cozy house? Why, to pay for insurance, of course! For a paycheck for two more years, for more Soc Sec benefits, more retirement benefits. I hope and pray I can look back and say, it went pretty fast, I did my best, it was worth it.

For each day between now and then and however long God wants me here on this earth, I want to say, "I'm doing my best to 'live up to what I have already attained.' "

(Today Mama has been in Heaven for 4 months.)

No comments: