Friday, July 27, 2007

You Never Stop Worrying

At 9:00 last night Amy called with tears and hysteria. "This has been the worst day!" she sobbed.

Oh, no. She hates her job. That's the first thought I had.

Then she told me she was broken out just about all over, her feet were swelled, and when she took her shoes off after work, she could hardly bend her feet to walk. She had managed to stay all day at work, her first day, and by the time she got started home, she was near the point of clawing herself to death. She went to the minor emergency clinic and got a shot and two prescriptions and by the time she got home, she was nearly wild with trying not to scratch! A cool shower didn't help. Paul and I were ready to go immediately. I just wanted to see for myself how bad it was, what I could do, how I could fix it and reassure myself she was not going to quit breathing. She didn't have any breathing difficulty, thank goodness.

I finally lay down and dozed. Paul was still up because he'd already been to bed for a while when Amy called. At 10:30 she called back and said she was much better and sounded calmer and even drowzy. She asked me to have Paul call the funeral home manager this morning to let them know what happened.

When I talked to her at 10 this morning, she was much better, and also at 2:00. She really thinks she got into something in the yard since the rash was distributed as it was - on her hands, between her fingers, some on her torso, on her legs and really broken out and swollen feet. I read on WebMD that those kinds of reactions can take place even a few days after contact with the poison. She didn't have any on her face, so I'm glad she probably kept her hands away from there at the time.

She said she would talk to her boss sometime today; he had been unable to be reached or return calls earlier in the day. But Paul had left word and Amy had also called and explained her ordeal. She was anxious to know her schedule for the weekend, if any, and next week.

Mothers imagine the worst, especially if they can't see it, touch it, doctor it, kiss it and make it better. An hour and a half's drive away is not the best place for your child to be, no matter how old they are, if they are sick and alone. I prayed after I talked to her and was reminded that God is with her even when Paul and I can't be. He and I won't be able to be most of the time. I'm just glad for that direct prayer line and God's long arm of mercy - to my child and to me.

No comments: