Sunday, May 06, 2007

Sunday

I went to church and Sunday School this morning. Paul has a cold and didn't feel like going. I went at the usual time, 8:30, because I wanted to finish dinner before Amy got home.

Amy came home around 2:30 and brought her dogs Moe and Pauly. Moe is a lab mix and Pauly a border collie mix, both rescue dogs from the Memphis Humane Shelter. Oscar had a fit! He had to be put in the living room and didn't like it one bit unless I was in there. No way could he have gone into the back yard with the two huge dogs - especially with Moe, who would have had him for dessert!

It was good to have our girl home and she loved the roast, potatoes, carrots, peas and cornbread - home cooking that she rarely gets. She ate standing up as she is in the habit of doing at home. I made her some sweet tea and we had Tutle Pie for dessert. Paul even ate a piece. I put an extra portion of roast on his plate so he'd have the extra protein. I'm afraid the cornbread, potatoes, carrots and peas quickly used up his carb alotment. He had that for supper, too. But not the pie.

Mama Nick called, which is so unusual for her - I've been remiss in calling her and I don't guess Paul has (he doesn't always tell me if he does). She wanted to know if Amy had finished her apprenticeship and I told her all she lacks is the legal exam. "Keep me informed," she said. They're all doing well. We didn't talk very long because she just doesn't make long distance calls as a rule. I'll have to do better.

I called Mama. She did have an appointment on Monday (5/1), at Tupelo and they did the CT runoff, and no blockages in her heart to be of major concern. Earlier she wasn't sure she had the May 1 slot, and thought it had been changed to May 22, which may or may not be an appointment date. She asked when she was there, but hasn't heard back. She does have gallstones, they told her. (The scan included her abdomen so I guess they could tell from that.) I think she had forgotten she had a test last year when she was being sick at her stomach, and a colonoscopy was to have been done also, but the doctor decided not to, and really never followed up. That was strange. She hasn't had any GB attacks and has been eating better... Then there is the dog story. Since Mike has fenced in the yard(s) and has 2 lab puppies, she has to be careful going out the front door on her high deck because the pups are under foot. Well, sure enough, yesterday, they caused her to fall. Said she had to crawl into the house and pull herself up on the end table in the living room. Bumped her head, fell mostly on her right arm. She needs to take her cane outside with her. "But I try to make them mind, make them sit," she told me. It could have been worse - the porch/deck is about 3-3.5 feel high and they could as easily caused her to topple off into the yard! Going out the back door, she would not have to contend with the dogs because the fence doesn't enclose the back steps and porch. Mike did ask her if it mattered to her how he put the fence up and she said it didn't. Just wasn't counting on friskiness of the dogs. Lord, please watch out for Mama and keep the dogs from tripping her.

She wanted to talk to Amy, but she and Paul had left in his truck, she wanted to drive it, and they were gone about 20 minutes. So Amy called her when they returned and they talked about that long, too. Hopefully, some or all of us will be in Iuka on Mother's Day.

Amy and I looked at a couple of books she brought - about storage spaces for art materials and one on scrapbooking. She let me borrow them. Like I have any room left for any kind of storage! I did take the closet in the den and starting out it was so neat and I could see the book titles, but not now! There are books, art and computer supplies, paper, inks, paints in there and I don't even know what all I do have. There is no place to work and getting them out and putting them up would take all the time I have at home! So maybe next year I'll be able to "play" more. The books do have some really good ideas.

I packed up a lot of the food that was left for Amy to take home with her. Amy had gotten me and Paul the Mississippi State t-shirts and she had hers on today, so we rotated and made pix of us in our shirts.

After she left, I walked Oscar (who balked heartily; I finally gave up the first time and took him later) and then walked around in the back yard, looking in from the outside. The den looked cozy with the books in the shelves, the glow of the light. I'd made pictures before, but never pass up an opportunity for just that perfect shot!







No comments: