Friday, April 20, 2007


End of the Week


Or not. Depends. I didn't cook this week - we or I had something every night - Monday was Scholarship Banquet, Tuesday was the fire chief's retirement supper, Wednesday Bible Study, Thursday Ladies' Night Out, Friday our usual dine-out night. I even bought a new Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker with the lift out pot. I even looked up Crock Pot recipes on the internet. Maybe I'll use one or both this weekend.


I worked on the Route 66 calendar (fitness) just about all day at work and got all 4 months to a fine draft finish. Just some touching up to do. I probably overdid it, and some of the pictures or quotes may need to be eliminated or enlarged. But I enjoyed doing that.


Norma and I went to Loughridge Cemetery and ate lunch, then walked around looking at the markers. One family had headstones of children all lined up, 4 I think, maybe 5, all about 2 years old. One set of twins, but they died at about 18 months and 11 months, one in 1926 and one in 1927. How sad to lose all those children, or even one! I wonder who would remember them and why so young. Maybe Polly Jones.


JoAnn finished the old platform rocker today - only 2 days it took her to do it! Then Paul took her his recliner. She's good, fast and reasonable. The platform cost $55.88 and the fabric was about $40 at most. She also made two cushions. The fabric even looks old - it's soft, a velour, but with a pattern. The recliner probably will be done by mid-week next week.


Our next 2 or 3 projects are: painting the kitchen, replacing the knobs and handles; getting a new dining set and possibly a hutch to match; getting a storage cabinet for the utility room; getting all the carpets profesionally cleaned. (I cleaned with my small Bissell cleaner tonight where the recliner had sat, the pathway in the living room, and the major walk area in the front bedroom. It looks better, but it could be a deeper cleaning.)


I wanted to get all these things finished before retirement. The DSL is working out great - it's wonderfully fast, the phone can ring, and the email is easy to use. (It sends a reminder email for any calendar dates you have entries for.) I need to call the bank next week and cancel our dial-up.


Amy called tonight. She was waiting to work at a service and had a few minutes. Told me not to let it slide about having lunch with Salinda and Richard. I won't. She asked Richard (she saw him this week, delivered some candles they had for Uncle Allen's service) and asked if they ever talked to her grandfather (Luther). Richard said yes, in fact, he was going to call him the next night. (Now I wonder if Richard would say anything to him about talking to his granddaughter he's never seen...?? All sorts of questions arise.) I would like to know one thing - his birthdate. She said well, that shouldn't be too hard to find out. Maybe Salinda has it. I don't know that I've ever asked her. Families have all sorts of strange relationships and situations.


The new animal shelter grand opening is tomorrow and Paul has to be there at noon to make a speech. I'm going, wanted to see it and all the sweet little orphans. I would bring one home with me, but I know Oscar is quite enough!


Speaking of animals - Bitty has started coming back in the house this week, and eating her food. Oscar is just beside himself and sort of cries when she goes back outside. They are getting closer and closer, but she will always have the upper hand, or paw. She's aloof and he's just deliriously happy to have her in the house. Strange family relationships, as I mentioned.

No comments: