Friday, March 23, 2007


All Kinds of Surprises


The 20" monitor didn't work. It would have worked - a nice fit in the desk and large view area - if it had connected or powered up, but it didn't and so it didn't work at all. I contacted Amazon about returning it and UPS is supposed to pick it up here and take it back. Now the wait for the credit...


I took my frustration out trying to get the monitor hooked up, thinking it would be such a simple process, and when it didn't work, I just couldn't let it go. I tried and tried. When I finally admitted defeat, after no supper to speak of, and Oscar running around and back and forth yipping at his crazy and frustrated mommy, I had a meltdown. I couldn't think about Mama till I got finished, till the house was quiet and I had nothing else to occupy my thoughts, and so I thought about Mama, and cried in the shower and prayed.


She has blocked arteries in her legs, a leaky heart valve, but thank God (and I mean that) is going home today. She will probably get a cardiologist in Tupelo, where she would have gone in the first place had she known the results would have been so surprising. But as it is, for now, control blood pressure, wait 2-3 weeks for another appointment, get the bp down, see this doctor again (if the doctor is so lucky), or go to another in Tupelo. Then the decision and the scheduling of stints in legs, surgery to repair or replace the valve. (I didn't ask which valve.) I did ask enough good questions that the doctor asked me, "Are you in the medical profession?"
About 5 or 6 years ago she had a cath done and no blockages and a "heart like a 20-year old." So has her breathing trouble and lack of oxygen damaged her heart like this? That's not a question I asked, but Mama did and the doctor said she didn't know.


I called Sher, Paul, Amy (went to voice mail), and they felt better, especially Sher, who has been in San Antonio and probably can finish her classes there, and is relieved that Mama can go home and have time to think about all this.


I don't know what this will do for our trip to Sher's for Easter. I rather think it will be put off. The trip would put a strain on Mama, and if the home health nurse comes to her house for a while, she must be there for them to check her blood pressure! Maybe we can go to Mama's for a couple of days. Or maybe I should save my days for the impending probable surgeries.
I have to say wonderful things about our brother Steve who took Mama yesterday for the cath, stayed all day, spent the night on a cot, and talked to the doctor this morning, and took Mama home. He's a good son, a sweet brother.

No comments: