Monday, March 19, 2007

New and Old Things


Fabric for recliner and old platform rocker; rugs for den; new 20" computer monitor. Paul's new truck. Well, someone told me to do whatever I needed to/wanted to now because after retirement there will seem to be no money. I think there is not much money now! No, these are all thought-out and I have money for the monitor and the upholstering. (And I got two insurance checks yesterday!) It just seems like one thing leads to another. But it's nice to be able to get some of these things done. The new monitor will be a major improvement (at home) having a little more front desk work space, and being able to see the screen better.

It helps me feel organized, too. There's something about outdated stuff (like the 12" CRT monitor, the dinosaur of computer screens - and it's only 4 years old!) that just makes me feel unorganized. In a couple of years we will have to organize our TV sets, too, to the new digital signals - either by converter box or by new TV set. I vote for the new set(s)! In fact, that would be a great Christmas gift to ourselves, with the last of the "big" Christmas Club before retirement.

Paul's truck is nice. We finally got some pictures of it yesterday evening. As I may have said earlier, my favorite thing about it is the XM satellite radio and all the oldies stations. The cargo space is nice - the back wall and the back window are removable - it is like a small, short camper - a small house on wheels. Rides great!

New things are fine and I'm glad we can get them - I'm glad we can buy what we need and most of the time just what we want. I'm greatful - for a good job that allows that, good health to work, a husband who is generous, and most of all to God for allowing us to enjoy good health and is the foundation of a good marriage. I too often take these things for granted and while my mind-set is becoming very different in light of retirement at the end of this year, I don't want to become complacent and sort of give up! I am thankful for all we have, all we have done together, for the fact that we are together and have and are enjoying each other - for nearly 39 years.

Hmm - there is something to be said for old things, too.

No comments: