Friday, December 08, 2006


Pottery Party

Last night was our final class in pottery, celebrating with a potluck. Mr. Haven looked at the portfolios of our work and was very complimentary of our work, being a companionable class, and said he enjoyed having us. It was sort of sad in a way. I may never see some of these people again, and we grew close in that way strangers do when they endeavor to accomplish a personal or professional goal. Some took the class for credit, some audited it. Some will return next semester, some in the fall. I hope to take it again after I retire. The commitment to the class kept me going - and if I had ever gone home and had to come back to the college, there are many times I would not have made it back. By the time I got a half-way feel for it, it was over. But next time I will have those basics from which to start. I want to make things I can use - plates, cups, serving dishes. Most of mine turned out to be small bowls and not all the glazes were great. Fatigue really showed up in some of them! But it was fun. I met new people, realized a personal goal, and built self-confidence. I remember how nervous I was going in the class the first time! It was a gentle, relaxing, therapeutic class, although at times pure physical work on the wheel or rolling out a slab!


Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay
Some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?
Romans 9:21

Yet, O LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter;
We are all the work of your hand.
Isaiah 64:8

No comments: