Monday, October 02, 2006


First Firing

These are the class's creations that have been bisque-fired. We made several trips from the kiln, carrying still warm pots, and deposited them on a big table. Then we sorted them and found our own work - bowls, vases, test tiles - and the next step will be glazing. Jean and I have ordered 9 different glazes (she - 4, me - 5), and Lou has several from the 2 (or 3) previous years she has had this class. Shon said we could use some of her glaze, too.

Last week I tried 3 times to pull up a mug-shaped piece on the wheel, to no avail. They all turned into bowls. I was trying to model mine on a pretty mug I found at the pharmacy. I tried so hard that I had to take two Advil before I went to bed and thought I'd be so sore I couldn't move the next day, but I wasn't. Centering is the most difficult for me. Once it's centered, it just feels so good - so even and smooth. When it isn't, it warps around and your hands and arms are pitched with the unevenness of the lump there between your hands.

I suppose I like handbuilding best, but I would really like to be able to at least get a good grasp (literally) of the wheel thrown pots. If I can't get a half decent mug this week, I'm going to try another pinchpot bird. (I broke the wing-tip off the first bird, but slurried it back on, so maybe it will hold. It hasn't been fired yet.) Then there are the small bowls I did "throwing off the mound," and the 3 from last week that I have to trim... Maybe one more bird, or maybe a cat, or a bulldog for Paul?

This is the 7th week, so I suppose we're about half through. I can't take the class next semester - two nights a week and working full-time is too much. But after I retire, the spring semester of 2008, I'd like to do this again.

Lord, center me...

No comments: