Monday, March 08, 2021

MONDAY, MARCH 8, 2021

There has been too much happened in the last year to even write about, so I'll list this most trying year:

I had a pacemaker 5/6/2019

Paul had lung cancer and treatments July - September, 2019.  30 trips to Tupelo for radiation and 4 chemos.  Left his weak and so long to recover.

In March, 2020, he developed afib, and had to go to the hospital twice, exactly one week apart.  Now he takes one of the same meds I do.  The "black box" amiodarone.

In March, 2020, COVID hit and made everyone afraid of everything and everyone; closed down businesses, schools, churches. No one could (or should have) gone out to eat, go to church, have family gatherings.  Sports of all kinds was cancelled.  

In March, 2020, David died of brain atrophy.  Not the cancer, but the radiation killed his brain.

I'm sure things happened in the summer.  We stayed in and away from everyone.  Ordered groceries on line, picked up at the store.

July, 2020, David's memorial service.  There were hardly any funerals anywhere.  People delayed them or had families only at graveside.  Hospitals were over-run with Covid patients; to date (March, 2021) there has been at least 1/2 million Americans die from Covid.  

September 14, 2020 - I fell off the last two steps at the back door and broke my shoulder and banged my left leg up so bad it still is not completely healed.  Recovery, pain, hell, misery, screaming, crying.  After about 6 weeks, PT started for about 12 I think.  Then on the heels of that, wound clinic for my leg/hematoma that wouldn't heal.  

September 19, 2020 - had to put Oscar to sleep.  He was almost 16, blind, wouldn't go outside, had begun having neurological problems, wouldn't eat much.  It was time.  It was awful.  It was so hard.

Thanksgiving and Christmas - we didn't go to family gatherings.  We're the oldest and most vulnerable.  Sher and Amy were at our house.  We wore masks when we were near each other.  Six foot distancing was the norm.  Hand washing, Clorox wipes and toilet tissue could hardly be found (when it began; it was a little better by the end of the year).   

January 6, 2021 - Attack on the White House by rioters.  Didn't believe Biden had won the Presidency.  

From October through January we tried several times to buy a house in Memphis (helping Amy buy one) and at least 3 didn't turn out for various reasons.  Finally January 2 I think, we offered one in Vollintine/Evergreen part of Memphis and it was accepted.  All this was a challenge and was harder than it should have been. 

February 14 - ice storm for a week.  House signing delayed for 2nd time.

February 22, 2021 - signed for house.  

February 23, 2021 - she started moving.  Matt helped. She took a week's vacation after the ice storm, to move.

February 28, 2021 - finished moving

March 1, 2021 - Dexter died.  Enlarged heart he was being treated for.  She was not home and it has about killed her.

March 2, 2021 - Sher and I went to Memphis and got Dexter, brought him to our house and Mike dug his grave in our back yard.  Paul and I buried Dexter; Amy wanted him here.  It's still hard to believe he's "here."  She is devastated.

March 5, 2021 - Brenda nearly died - hospitalized because of sudden onset of UTI and E. coli.  Affected her heart.  We didn't know all this for a couple of days, how serious she was.

March 6, 2021 - I turned 73.  Lunch with Sher and she had painted Oscar's portrait.  I cried.

God has been near and far.  I have believed and disbelieved.  It has been so hard.  Now it is spring and the buttercups are blooming. I don't know what else to write about the past year.  It has been hard, devastating for so many.  We are still here and I'm thankful.  I'm still trying to walk balanced; I watch every step.  Paul gets out of breath so easy.  Getting old is not for sissies.  It's true.

I may have pictures.  It depends on my mood.  







No comments: