Friday, May 07, 2010

Gardening, Gathering, Grooming and Lunch


Wednesday I spent the night with Amy and went to my doctor's appointment the Thursday. All the heart "plumbing" is fine; it's the electrical circuits that cause the skips, which I knew - a little spot that won't behave and insist in causing out-of-sync rythym. So we're trying a new med along with what I'm already taking. If that doesn't work... Probably another ablation. I may have to take med anyway, afterward; but I may not. Return in a month...


Amy and I looked for oak leaf hydrangeas and a red camelia at Lowe's and Home Depot to no avail. Thursday morning I found the oak leaf hyds at Dan West's garden center on Poplar. After the doctor's visit, I looked at Tripp's on Poplar for a red camelia - they didn't have any reds, but was told by the grounds/plant keeper to "try down the road." I stopped at Vador's and they did have the reds, so I bought one, about 4 feet high. I also got a small pot of the yellow petunias. So pretty!

Ready to plant.




We also drove around looking for a house number on Felix (Memphis). We didn't find an actual building or house for that number, but where the house would have been. Aunt Margaret remembered number and street of a house they lived in when the first moved to Memphis in the 1930's, and asked me to look it up. Since I had the opportunity this week, I did, and emailed some photos of that address and where her mother (our grandmother Flora) and daddy (our Papa) lived on Claybrook. There now is a medical facility and it's just across the street from Methodist Hospital. I don't remember the hospital being that near, but as a young child, I'm sure distance was relative - everything looked larger, taller, farther away. Claybrook street sign is just under the Tops BBQ sign; corner of Claybrook and Union. (I walked over to Bruce School several blocks away when I was in second grade, across this busy street. There was not walk-over then; and kids could safely do that "back in the day."

2912 Felix. 2916 would have been to the right where the big shrubs are. Amy and I learned that Felix stops and starts quite a few times, being intersected by whole blocks with no through passage.

Claybrook street sign just under Tops. Methodist to the left.


Today I bought a Knockout rose at Walmart. From the descriptionon the tag, it sounds perfect for my less than green thumb. Just plant it, forget it. I'm pretty sure I know where I want all these placed and have them set in their spots waiting for Gardener Paul to dig the holes for me.The front yard remains sparse but it does need some work. I just enjoy the patio and the cool back yard and there's more room for plants there.

Paul also made us a small raised garden for the half dozen tomato plants and four pepper plants I got before I went to Panama City. This week I cored a pineapple and stuck the top of it in the garden, too. I think it takes a while for pineapples to mature... Jean gave me several herbs to plant and those will go in a container: dill, thyme, spearmint, peppermint and rosemary? oregano? I'm so herbally challenged. While I was at Jean's I got to see Julia who was picking strawberries with her Papaw.


Tweaking the antique truck.



I splurged today and asked Tina to clean house for me, getting me caught up after being gone for two weeks. I also took Oscar to be groomed. And I had lunch with the Buds from work. So good to see Beck, Carolyn, Wesley and get caught up! They (management) took the old "Woodruff Electric" sign down from atop the building. Almost a landmark. Beck said they' gotten a new sign on the ground, somewhat like the "welcome to..." city signs.

Just a great feeling to be able to run errands at will. Other things I accomplished today: copies of some family history for cousin JoAnn; prints of pictures for her and Sher. Post office, library, stopped by Paul's office, talked to Theda. Things I would either not ever get to do when working, or have to schedule into such a tight timeframe it was too stressful and I couldn't enjoy them! People still ask me if I'm enjoying retirement. Absolutely! I am thriving in it!

Saturday Morning

It is cool this morning, and no humidity! Feels wonderful outdoors! Sher is home and "resting," but on her way to farmers' market. I forget about that, but it's nearly nine, so I'm sure everything will be gone from ours.

Paul had to mark a grave for a little boy who died in a tragic accident Thursday evening. Our hearts go out to the Orman family. The funeral is today at noon.

No comments: