Saturday, June 27, 2009

A Good Marble

Slept fairly late this morning; Paul was already up when I got up. He edged and mowed the yard. The weedeater was giving him fits, though, and I heard the mower stall a couple of times. Around 11:00 he was finished and it's been NASCAR and baseball from the recliner and sofa the rest of the day. He and Oscar "made a block" and I took a nap this afternoon.

Sister found a really pretty bedroom suite on Craigslist, exactly like the one the man from whom she bought her house had. The only thing - it doesn't have a footboard. She got it for about one-fourth the cost. Actually Dan, the gardener who worked for the man who sold the house, whose name is, ironically, Craig, found it for her. Called her and told her about it. Offered to put it on his credit card for her. But she "went home" this weekend, made an appointment to see the furniture and bought it. She also bought a dining room suite - old table and four chairs. The lady who sold the furniture is moving and downsizing. Last time Sher and I talked, she was sitting at her table doing homework for her last week of class, back in Montgomery. July 4 week she will finally get to really move in. (The one below is the former owner's from photos Sher made when she looked at the house. Hers is like it.)


I asked Sher if I could have Mama's little white table and four chairs then. She said yes, unless Jordan needed them when he found a place to live. I've been wanting a smaller table and only four chairs, so maybe this will work out. Probably won't be able to get them till next year.
Mike called me one night last week, going to Florida the weekend after the Fourth and wanted to know if Sher's number had changed. He'd just not been able to get her, but did, as Sher said they were coming to see her while they were there. Also will try to see Aunt Margaret. Sister's still wishing we could all be there Thanksgiving, but one whole day to drive there and one back - just too short a stay for the time on the road. Flying...? I'd rather go and get to stay longer.

I spot cleaned the bedroom and living room carpets. I'd told Amy about Tina moving and she offered to clean the house. She's training to run a crematorium for someone who will be on vacation in July, so she'll be able to come clean for us. She'll do a wonderful job - I taught her well! (The weather outside is not hot enough? But I'm glad she's learning... Told her not to get dehydrated!!) I'd asked her earlier in the week to pick up Cloth, Paper Scissors issue of its Studios edition from Davis-Kidd. Like to look, dream.

Gave Oscar a bath this afternoon. He knew when I put the little stool, upon which I sit, in the bathtub - the sound it makes - what he was in for! I've learned to close his kennel door, yet even with a treat in his mouth, his little tail was dragging and he headed for the kennel. Poor baby! But he tolerates the bath well. It's easier to bathe him in the tub than the sink; he can shake off all he wants and it doesn't matter. He's in dire need of a hair cut, but I only managed to trim him in strategic places. He looks pretty, but all that hair is so hot. (I know because he told me.)

I made spaghetti for supper; sweet iced tea. Have been wanting really sweet iced tea lately. Just so hot that it hits the spot and quenches thirst like nothing else. Jimmi Ann brought some more peaches and left them hanging in a bag on the back doorknob. I know when someone's there because Oscar goes berserk. She was already at the end of the driveway when I got to the door. She knows Oscar. The first peaches were left and I didn't know who'd brought them; she brought the second batch and tolerated O's hysteria long enough for me to put my hand out the door, take the bag, and thank her.

Just some of JoAnn and Byron's flowers around their pretty home... They also have several butterfly bushes that are so beautiful. He planted all yellow daylilies along their drive and it's quite a show.

No comments: