Saturday, May 02, 2009

With Help Like This...

We've been helping Amy with several things that needed to be done at her house. Paul weed-eated the front yard and several hours afterward he and I were sitting on the brick retaining wall and heard something tinkling, tinkling. We finally found its source. Evidently he had thrown a rock and it hit the glass in the storm door. The glass was a maze of little pieces and it was all falling out of the door casing. Later I made the mistake of opening the inside door to show Amy the pile of glass and it all slid inward. She and I swept it all up.

I was cleaning a table off in the living room and promised not to throw away any "crafty-looking" things. But I did, partly, I admit, in frustration at all the little pieces of this and that (I truly understand little pieces of this and that can be used for crafts), and partly because I really didn't know any better. Amy went through the trash and got the artsy stuff out. I decided stick to the big stuff, like dusting furniture.

Paul was working in the garage and the air-conditioning man (yes) had just left after diagnosing Amy's unit on the house addition. For some reason Pauly (for real, the dog's name) got out and he and Oscar (never wanting to get his feet wet, but totally oblivious to the rain and wet ground and wanting to assert himself with the big dog) were about to go at it. When Moe arrived. Moe - the part-Lab who hones in on any moving creature any bit smaller than him - cats, squirrels, Oscar. I was about hysterical trying to get Oscar and Pauly away from each other. Pauly truly is good-natured, but Oscar was still trying to show off and they were defining their territory by trying to bite each other. I'd just grabbed Oscar by his halter when Moe
came upon the fracus and I just knew I wouldn't be able to pick O up quick enough. I managed to snatch him up threw him into the house. Amy's trying to round up the dogs who have run away before and love the taste of freedom, and off they go down the street. I grabbed keys, decided to get my driver's license and about the time we got to the end of the driveway, Pauly is on his way back home. In the fence with him. All the time Paul's saying, "I can't believe I let them out. I was so careful of that gate all morning." I backed the truck out of the driveway and got a half a block away and there's Moe. Maybe he decided it wasn't going to be fun on his own out in the big world, but whatever reason, he was coming home. He was only in the truck about 30 seconds, but it got a good dose of wet dog!

Safe and sound back home, we all were about bushed and had to stop. The computer had come back on. (It was fine last night, but was dead this morning.) Paul finished up in the garage. I went to the computer to just sit and read a while. That's when the mouse and keyboard decided it didn't want to work. After unplugging, plugging, re-booting about half a dozen times in every sequence I could think of, it wanted a password. I guess that solved the problem. It didn't get the password. I just tried something else and suddenly Mouse and Keyboard woke up.

The reason the A/C man was there: One of Amy's units has to be replaced. It's only 28 years old. We didn't touch it. Really.

No comments: