Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

We're at Amy's and it has rained all weekend. Not pouring rain, but a slow rain that keeps soaking in and keeping everything green and cool. There have been flash-flood watch updates on TV, but so far the only water we've seen standing was around the river on Friday.

Yesterday we grocery-shopped, cooked "home-cooking": pinto beans, cornbread, pan-fried potatoes (crispy/tender kind), chicken tenders, slaw, and Mrs. Smith's apple pie. Paul worked in the yard all day - the rain was not so hard that he wasn't shielded under the trees in the back yard, and was he ever sore last night! He loves being outside, and Amy's yard was the "perfect" challenge... She and I went to Davis-Kidd for just a little while (truly - no more than 45 minutes), and were going to Oak Court Mall, but were just too tired. After we ate, she napped and I read in the recliner for a while, but didn't sleep.

She and I sat up past midnight last night talking about everything - life challenges, walking with God, trusting Him. We talked about movies and looked at funny cat videos and movie clips on YouTube. She and Oscar got along really well over the weekend and when I went to bed last night, he wanted to stay up a while with her in the living room.

Paul had a sweet Mother's Day card for me this morning, and made a fresh pot of coffee for me. I took Oscar out for his morning business, then I made bacon, eggs and toast for us. (Schnuck's has a really good maple flavored bacon that we'd gotten last weekend, and I got again, also some to take home with us.)

The "job description" for Mom and Dad has that disclaimer at the end: "and other job duties as required." All ours at work say that. Just in case you can't think of all those duties that those jobs may require. And you can't. We walk by faith, not by sight.

Mother's Day, Part 2

After we got home this afternoon, I lay down for a nap, and began to think of Mama on this day, and Goobie (grandma). This is the second Mother's Day without Mama, and Goobie has been gone since 1987. I just remembered all the sweet things about them - how determined they were. They were widows for over 30+ and 40+ years. They were strong women. They loved their children and each had heartaches in their own lifetimes and in their own situations. They never ran out of love and patience, though, and their greatest achievements were their children and grandchildren. They had faith and trusted God - sometimes (a lot of times) when they didn't know where the next meal would come from or where they would live. I miss them. I miss the going-home, the hugs, the softness of them, their laughter, their quietness. But I can't really say I miss their love - because it continues on. I know they loved us and their love goes on, as every generation of mothers does.

Melanie texted Happy Mother's Day to me; I answered. I texted Tara, she answered. Sher called me and was meeting Mel, Nate and Kevin in Destin, about halfway between them. And Amy called: once to tell me about a bad dream during her nap, and once to tell me "I Remember Mama" was on TCM. I finished watching that, called her and we talked about how good it was. Paul called Mama Nick. Amy was going to call Mama Nick and Aunt Ginny, too. I had sent them both cards.

I Remember Mama, too.

No comments: