Wednesday, November 07, 2007

More on Cabinets

Last Saturday I lined all the cabinets, not the kitchen drawers or anything lower than the countertop. I made two trips to Wal-Mart to 1) buy contact paper, 2) return contact paper, 3) buy "Duck" brand liner that grips on the bottom side and is smooth on top. After I got home with the first liner rolls, I realized the shelves were 12" wide and that the Duck brand was just wide enough. It was soooo much easier. I don't think all the shelves in the kitchen had even been lined in all the 33 years and 10 months we've lived there!

The doors are still in the process of being painted, so the cabinets are just "out there," and I kind of like it - I can see where everything is and can just reach up, get it, and don't have to open/close doors to search for things or move the doors out of the way (they don't hang exactly straight in our old house). I'm still thinking glass-front doors on at least one big section.

And I'm thinking I'll re-do the valances. I looked at Wal-Mart at the fabric and saw one bolt that had possibilities - at least it had the colors I need. I've just realized you can order fabric online, too! That could be fun. Some runs from $30 a yard back to a reasonable $5 or $6 a yard. (Well, W-M's was $3.99 a yard... just plain old cotton fabric...)

I still haven't gotten a frame for Mama's still life picture. I've even thought of downsizing it to maybe an 8"X10" - a reprint, but no, I really want the original and it picks up the reds in that part of the dining area. If I can ever get to Hobby Lobby.

Another project Paul tackled Saturday was the Little House. A lot of the plywood outside walls had to be replaced, as well as the door. He worked so hard and it was after dark when he finished.

No comments: