Saturday, October 20, 2007

Good While It Lasted

After my wonderful injection in the shoulder a couple of weeks ago, I was on a steroid high. Not only did it eliminate the inflammation in there, but it eliminated all other aches and pains. I've had injections before, so I knew I better enjoy the pain-freeness while it lasted.

I went with Paul to Starkville to the Mississippi State/Tennessee football game (we - MS - got beat); and then spent the night in Columbus with Sher. That is a long drive to do a round trip plus sit there for the ballgame, so I said I'd go if we could spend the night with her. She met us near West Point and got Oscar and took him home with her; we enjoyed the ballgame - or at least Paul did. I wimped out around half-time because my legs were cooking through my jeans!

Sher had steaks for us when we got to her house - she'd got carry-out from a place there and they were wonderful. Right up there with the Grist Mill steaks in Gruen, TX. She and I sat up and talked, cried, laughed, and watched "Something's Gotta Give." After midnight we went to bed and a couple of times I heard Oscar's tags jingling, but he was in his kennel at the end of our bed pretty much all night. After a walk, breakfast of fruit and yogurt and French toast. Yummy!

I hope we can go for Thanksgiving. Her trees and roomy house are welcoming and about central to us and to Melanie coming up from Pensacola, and Amy from Memphis, if she is off for Thanksgiving. (I looked ahead and that is her weekend to be off, but I don't know what day she'll have for TG.)

Oscar had been sick earlier in the morning, and was sick again, and again on the way home. Monday Paul took him to the vet and he said it was a stomach virus. I think it might also have been a little too much pigskin roll-up. (I threw all those away.)

Tuesday and Wednesday we had meetings at work and I had to explain our new supplemental life and AD&D plans.

Thursday I took Bitty the Cat to the vet because her mouth wouldn't close. I just knew she had a stick in there, but the vet said it was infected teeth, and she pulled two of them.

In amongts all this activity, I've been going to and doing physical therapy for my frozen right shoulder. Thankfully, it is not as stiff or as bad as the left one. So far I'm seeing good results and it isn't catching as badly as it was.

I have talked to Bonnie at the monument company about Mama's marker. I am going to ask her about going up to the next size single monument. We don't want the lettering to look cramped or tiny.

Jean and Dick are back from their two-week California trip.

Richard, Paul and I ate at Kelley's yesterday evening.

I sent Steve 3 CDs that have the 3 songs we had played at Mama's service, since he couldn't play the burned one on his player. He talked to Sher last night about an hour, she said, and said he missed Mama so much. I know he does - he did so much for her and saw her probably more than any of us did.

Today was beautiful and I slept in till 8:00! Late for me. I did shopping, made soup, repotted some plants of Mama's, including a Christmas cactus rooted from the one she had, folded clothes, took a two-hour nap. I guess I needed the sleep. This has been a busy week.

And the steroid has completely worn off.

No comments: