Sunday, July 22, 2007

Doing the Right Thing

We went to Amy's yesterday and we spent the night! I kept asking Paul if he wanted to just go for the day, do you, huh, huh? I don't know... is all he'd say. Well, do you want to spend the night? Yeah, we could do that. Amazing. He amazes me sometime. I think we've spent the night there one other time. He drove to Iuka Friday to see his mother and also Mama, and he didn't spend the night.

We all went to a couple of thrift stores and I found a red Dana Buchman jacket for $15. (Amy and I had looked at this brand last week in Dillard's and it's expensive.) Has to be cleaned. Also some unnecesary junk, but fun. We just ate at Wendy's and then went home to Amy's and lay down. Amy napped, Paul and I just lay down for a while. We snacked some more on Rice Krispie Treats and popcorn then went to bed around 10. I got some uninterrupted reading done.

It is so nice and cool - no humidity. Love it.

I wrote Bren my "confession" about Not Retiring, so I hope I haven't totally disappointed her and she'll never email me back or speak to me again!


So I've got to get my "attitude" checker in gear and get with the program. It's amazing really the burden I have felt lifted. It is almost as if I have started a new job. Today I was thinking, I really believe that is where I'm supposed to be. (Some of us already know the feeling... in entirely different situations.) Bren told me if you doubt something you probably shouldn't do it, her pastor said last week. Similar to the old saying, "When in doubt, leave it out." I was doubting whether I should retire, and so I'm not going to. I got out my trusty paper and pen and wrote a lot of things in my notebook journal and everything just seemed to gel. I've decided not to put a date on it again - it just caused too much speculation and worry, and when I get ready to, I will give as much notice as I need to. (Billy said a year would certainly be better that a month, of course. I told him he would not likely get that from me or anyone. The only one I know who probably did was Mr. C and he was the CEO.) Now I don't have to "worry" about all the stuff in my office, what to do with it, how much Michael needs to know or not know on a deadline. But there are a lot of things to be done between now and the first of the year and I plan to keep him informed of every step he can assist with and learn from.

I still can't get over the look on Carolyn's face and the joy in her eyes when I told the girls at lunch Friday! I just never expected her to react that way, although they had pretty much begged me not to go and I always brushed it off or told them I'd made up my mind. Beck said we have to all stick together and lift each other up on our "off" days, and encourage each other. Norma sighed a huge sigh of surprise and relief and said (I think) "Good for you!" (I was so busy watching Carolyn's reaction...!) Beck, Carolyn and I all will be 62 in 2010. Norma is 2 years behind us, the baby of the group. I remember Mr. C saying before he retired that just wait - when you get to that point, you'll feel differently about it. I couldn't have known how this feels if I had not changed my mind and had been in a state of flux forever. I couldn't feel both ways. So the decision I've made is apparently the right one because I feel at peace about it. And I have not regretted telling Billy I'd stay or second-guessed myself one time since Friday. That's a breakthrough for me!! I have even felt differently about all the "projects" I had planned to do at home on my time - and one of the things I'd thought of on the patio Thursday night is, well, you make time for just about what you want to. So the thought of the paint, paper, books, journals, scanning projects, sewing projects, waiting doesn't bother me now. In fact, I actually feel like doing some of those things! It's as though a stopper has been pulled and my life has been allowed to flow on.

It's amazing what the right decision can do for you.

...I just had to include "The Ugliest Dress I've Seen Since the 1970's" here since it is one of Amy's finds Saturday. She said she should wear it on her first day of work, and take her real work clothes with her, just to see what the FH staff reaction would be. She won't. I don't think. No, she won't.

Thirty-five years ago, this was someone's proud achievement - a sleeveless a-line dress and matching jacket, all in 100% polyester!! It cost her $1 at Leo's and she got it because she loves the retro style and colors - very 70's. Evidently it was for a Special Evening Occasion because of the length. In the 70's, most everything for day wear was very mini!

But the model is totally gorgeous!

No comments: