Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Hunky-Dory

I went to the doctor yet again Monday, because my back had hurt all weekend, also it seemed my hip joints and my upper back. Had a bone density and x-ray and had lost a little more bone than 2 years ago - 5% more in my hip, 1% more in my spine. "If we don't get you on something, in 20 years if you fall and break a hip, it will be bad!" he told me. So this is serious and I have to not diddle-daddle with it. The doctor gave me something for the pain (which I have not had to take yet), and a nasal spray medication for bone loss:

Miacalcin (Calcitonin) – This drug is approved for use by women who are at least 5 years past full menopause. Calcitonin is a thyroidal hormone that effects bone metabolism and calcium regulation. It is generally administered as a nasal spray or through injection. Calcitonin is known to reduce bone loss in the spine and reduce the risk of spinal fractures. Like Raloxifene, it has not been shown to be effective in treating other parts of the body. There are no known serious side effects.

I haven't used this yet. I know, I know. It won't do any good in the bottle. But I have also started taking Oscal (chewable), and have not had good results with calcium supplements before - stomach-related problems, etc. This is the third day for Oscal and so far, so good. I've lined up all my supplements in the cabinet on top of the Tommy Bahama box of beautiful plates my sister gave me, and every day I get out my doses and take them with breakfast. Also now included is a cranberry capsule for the kidney/bladder health, and drinking more water

But the Miacalcin is on my list. To administer, you spray in one nostril one day and the other the next, alternating. I was going to ask him about IVs, but he already had said most insurance companies fight them they're so expensive. But I'll ask my company sometime, and especially if the Miacalcin is intolerable or doesn't work.

I just hate starting new meds. I'm always leary of the side-effects. If they work, fine, just don't let me know I'm taking them. But then I got used to the xalatan eye drops after a while... and the atenolol... Soon I'll have to get a bigger weekly pill box like Mama's. But I'm thankful for medicines. I really am. I just don't want to have to take them.

Woman standing at the pharmacist's counter, holding a bottle of pills in each hand.
He says, "Take this one to feel hunky. Take that one to feel dory."

No comments: