Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Thirteen Pounds of Muscle

As is my daily habit, I walk Oscar, hopefully around our block, sometimes to the primary school and back. It depends on his mood and the weather.

Yesterday evening I took him for his walk, and it was partly cloudy, so the sun was not bright and hot and he did very well. For five minutes. Then he was ready to go home. If his name was not Oscar, Eeyore would be a good one. He plops down and will not budge. He has the saddest expression as if to say, "Why are you making me do this? I'm going home now."
I granted his wish and we came back home. After all he had been a good boy and done his business. That's all he cared about. Never mind that I needed to walk, and that he is such good company, and I enjoy seeing his little ears bob up and down when he prances - he doesn't walk, he prances - down the street.
I needed soy milk so I decided to walk to the grocery store, only a few minutes away, and make up the rest of the walking/fitness time for our program at work. (Route 66: a minute of activity equals one mile on the 2448 route across the U.S.) It was a lonely 12-14 minute walk. I felt heavy. I had to make myself put one foot in front of the other. I missed all that energy. I missed my little guy. It's surprising how he adds to my physical strength just by my holding onto his leash and letting him lead the way. He propels me.
We have had him almost one year and he has been such a good thing for me, for us. He makes us laugh, frustrates us, loves to play, is loyal and dedicated, always waits for us at the door, always loves to see us, gives us energy. If not for him this past year, I may not have built up physical strength by walking him, bathing him, picking him up, learning to groom him, playing with him.
Really, the only way he resembles Eeyore is when he plops his bottom down, lowers his head and refuses to move when he's had Enough Walking.
Now there's a small lesson here, and it just occurred to me. It has nothing to do with Eeyore, but the leash. And it's not really about the leash, except as compared to a lifeline. When I said, "It's surprising how he adds to my physical strength just by my holding onto his leash and letting him lead the way," the thought came to mind: Now that is how it is with Jesus. When I hold onto Him, He gives me spiritual strength and leads the way.
A life lesson here, even in a thirteen pound dog.

No comments: