Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day and After, 2007

Amy came yesterday for the day and Paul grilled hamburgers, chicken and corn on the cob. Amy helped load it. Not the fanciest grill, it's only about 30 years old and has outdone a more expensive gas grill we had a few years ago.
It wasn't terribly hot outside and we sat on the patio for quite a while - a fast-disappearing pleasure these days. So far mosquitoes haven't been bad, and there was a breeze blowing. Of course, we had to document this rare occurence and I got out the tripod so we could all be in the picture at the same time. Paul said we looked like the Culhanes. If you don't remember them, they were the "family" who lined up on the couch in the long-running series "Hee-Haw." They just sat there, week after week, saying ridiculous things, and always looking straight ahead, never at each other. (The Culhanes of Kornfield County [Gordie Tapp, Grandpa Jones, Junior Samples, and Lulu Roman.])

The highlight of the day was when I was showing Amy and Paul the rapid succession shots the camera would take when the shutter button is held down for several seconds. These are priceless and he puts the "Dancing With the Stars" performers to shame. Paul could easily win that competition! Is this the Watusi? Gee - all the fun we've missed...











Oscar was less than thrilled with Amy, as usual, but allowed us both to tickle his belly before bedtime. This morning was a different story and he misbehaved badly. For the first time ever I put him in his kennel so he would quiet down. ("Experts" say not to do this as they associate punishment with their kennel. It seemed to me it really calmed him down. He was in a safe place.) He also had developed a bad habit of leaping off my lap any time Paul would get up from his recliner and race to the kitchen like a maniac, squawking all the way. Tonight I held him tightly and firmly told him no, and he relaxed and stayed put. He has been much less reactive tonight. I'm sure I've let him get away with things he shouldn't, and like a kid, he needs to know his boundaries.

Having Amy home overnight was nice. We had a couple of deep, long talks - on the patio and lying on the bed before sleep. She's worried, of course, about a job, but I told her she had never starved or had to sleep under a bridge, and just take one day at a time. Paul talked to her tonight and encouraged her to at least talk to BFH - they may be in a position to hire her full-time, with other benefits, such as being appreciated. I think Roger is leaving/has left already.

Today was busy at work, being the end of the month: payroll changes I could finally post, Norma's deduction list, 2 new employees going to work (full-time) Friday, and showing Michael some things about the orientation papers, insurance and online enrollments, etc.

My follow-up specimen was negative, according to Ruth in the lab. That made me feel better, and hopeful that this back soreness is just an after-effect of the bladder infection. I'll take the VESIcare for a while, and also the cranberry capsules, and continue to drink lots of water.

Paul has next to told me not to go with him Friday for his consultation in Little Rock. "I know what to ask him." "What?" I ask. "When are you going to do it?" he says. I went over a list of other concerns, like will they do the biopsy and the surgery at the same time? How long will it take? How will it affect his arm? Will he have to wear a cast? For how long? When will they know what the biopsy results are? "I'll ask all those questions. There's no need for you to take a day of vacation just for the consult." Well. Okay, then. But I'd feel better just being there with him. And I hope his x-rays from St. B's get over to UAMS on time!

No comments: