Monday, May 14, 2007

Bizzy Weekend!

Friday night we had our usual night out, and this time went to McCrory to John B's where everything on the menu is super! I had emailed Linda and said I wished she could come (we were meeting Tara, Emmy and Richard there), and she did! Dick and Jean came by our house and Paul drove us. On the way Richard called and said they would be a few minutes late and that Linda would also be there. (We were coming from opposite directions and met there.) I was glad since she had not met Dick and Jean. No one had dessert this time around, but the tiramisu is wonderful!


Paul and I left for Iuka at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday morning and driving straight through (almost), I made it to Georgia's birthday party at 11:30. We stopped for short breaks a couple of times and then at W-M Supercenter in Corinth where I got Mama's vacuum cleaner and a few other last minute things. But this was fine - the party was sort of underway already, very casual, in the gazebo of Mineral Springs Park. Mary Jane, Tena, and Mitzi had all the food set up; the guys were grilling the hamburgers and hot dogs. The little lady herself had only been there a few minutes, having had her nap before the big event. Same could not be said for her big sister Lily, who conked out in her daddy's arms after eating and after a spill in the playground gravel. It was wonderful sitting in the old park, seeing old friends and the grown-up kids' kids running around and playing. Cecil and Rosie were there, as was Mitzi's mom, Sissy. Bren's in her element being the Mamaw.

After the party, Paul and I (he picked me up) went to Mama's where Sher already was and we had naps. What could be better than whirring fans, distant thunder and a nap at your mama's? Later I made hamburgers and Sher had lamb (I just couldn't bring myself to even try it). We ate and before it got dark Paul took us for a ride in his truck all around the Woodall Lake and out to Pleasant Hill Cemetery. Oscar did not impress the pastureful of cows next to the cemetery by pretending he was as big as they were. Every time they moved he would back up a step, then stand his ground once again, barking his head off, tail wagging furiously. Probably the first time he'd seen cows; maybe he thought they were huge dogs.
Back at Mama's, after watching some of the race on TV, Paul left to spend the night at his mother's and I stayed at Mama's. We forgot to get Oscar's kennel out of the truck, but he made it fine either beside the bed or on the bed at my feet. When we slept... It was after 2 before Sher and I could get rid of our restless legs, giggles, and phantom ticks crawling on my face! (I never did actually see one, but felt something. Eeeewwww!) It was all the chocolate cake with thick chocolate syrup and strawberries and late night Cheezits that kept us awake!

Sunday I cleaned Mama's living room carpet with my little Bissell cleaner (it does a pretty good job of knocking off the surface and shallow dirt), ate a big brekfast of eggs, bacon and biscuits, and went to Mama Nick's for a while in Mama's car so Paul wouldn't have to make a special trip to pick me up. Then we came back to Mama's and ate dinner. Mike, Marsha, Morgan and Benjamin came, too. Sher had baked a hen, had fresh corn, asparagus and tomatoes from the farmers' market; and Marsha brought her broccoli salad. I had a huge glass of Mama's Sweet Tea, which is always perfect - she makes the best tea in the world. After we cleaned up the kitchen (Marsha washed, I dried), Paul and I left to go visit Aunt Ginny before heading home. David, Jenni, Jess and Will, and Mama Nick were still there, having finished their dinner. Aunt Ginny graciously tolerated Oscar being in the house, in my lap most of the time. But he couldn't be left in the heat outside or in the truck. I asked Jess about her wedding plans and they are underway; showers are being planned and of course she'll let us know. We got to see Jenni's new (2003) BMW, her graduation gift. That's it below, and she let her dad drive them home!

Around 3:00 we got on the road headed west and stopped in Memphis to see Amy for a bit, then stopped in Marion for supper at Wendy's. Paul's suggestion; then we realized we couldn't leave O in the truck, so I got our order and we ate in the truck. Much to O's delight as he got to have french fries.

Home at last at 7:30. We just drove by church as it was letting out, so I noticed the time. I washed a couple of loads of clothes, put things away, downloaded all pictures to look at them, and finally went to bed about 9:30. Sooo good to be home in our bed!! Oscar was glad to get back to his kennel and/or rocker and/or foot of our bed, too.
Oh. And this morning, Oscar walked like the peppy little guy he is. After being away 2 days, maybe he forgot he had drop-bottom last week. I didn't have to insist that he walk one time. We just left the house, he did his business and we got around the block in good humor!


























No comments: