Wednesday, August 02, 2006


Wanted: Time

Time to sit and stare at water, even the small round birdbath in the back yard would be enough for now. Why is my mind so apologetic about wanting "time" and anxious that I will not have retirement time? I just read in the Rural Arkansas about a director who died at 61. Did he think he would have time?

The kid in me wants to curl up with a great book like Kate DiCamillo's The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane and let time just slip on by without clocks, without Edward's pocket watch even! (Her other children's books are wonderful. I've read or listened to: Because of Winn-Dixie which was made into a movie, and The Tale of Despereaux. Check them out if you haven't - you won't be disappointed!) Is there a resort for adult hormonal women who just want to be kids again? It that place called "Senility?" (smile) I don't think so, really. It's just us worn-out women wanting a little comfort, enchantment, and surprise in our lives.

Hopefully in 17 months I will be at that gate of Perpetual Vacation called Retirement and it will swing open to days and days of naps, books, road trips, visits with daughter, mother, sister, friends. I yearn for it today. I long to be a kid, innocent, lost in a world within a book, surprised, delighted, enchanted, unhurried, unscheduled, uninhibited, letting my imagination think about rabbits and mice who talk and have feelings.

No comments: