Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Celebrations

The next two weekends will be busy ones. Coming up is Bren's son and daughter-in-law and their family "welcome" party for the new baby, Alex Whitfield. August 5 Sher will be in Iuka enroute to Columbus, MS, for the next phase/step of her life and job, and celebrating her birthday.

Amy plans to go with me at least this weekend. She may ride with me or take her car. With gas at $2.899 a gallon, I hope we'll just ride together! If Paul doesn't go, I will leave Oscar at home this weekend, since Amy and I will be at Bren's for the cookout Saturday evening. It'll be so good to see all her family! Mary Jane sent invitations: "Grillin' and Chillin'!" Charlotte Vines will be there, too; I haven't seen her since probably David and Cindy's wedding and that's been 10 or 11 years.

For Sher's birthday (this is a spoiler, Sher, in case you happen to read this before August 5 - stop now!) -

I got her a Bluebird of Happiness, a Boyd's Bears figure of little girls (bears, I think)with one braiding the other's hair (like I did hers once when I went to visit her in San Antonio), and her wooden manikin she wanted. The bluebird is for nesting in her new home eventually, and carries on the theme of "nesting" from her women's retreat a few weeks ago in Austin.

***
This has been a busy 2 weeks - last week's trip to Las Vegas (meeting) and surviving the extreme heat (110 and more) and "no humidity" - well, heck, it's still hot! It is a bowl of hot, swirling smog, swimming with thousands of zombied people from everywhere you can imagine (and we were some of them!). One visit is all I'll ever want. I could hardly enjoy Hoover Dam for the heat! Now the mountains is another matter - Mount Charleston was beautiful. Red Rock Canyon was awe-inspiring. The desert commands respect. But the city is one huge glitz. (I did enjoy "O," and getting to meet Norma's sister and her husband. They were so hospitable and such nice folks.)

Our flights were almost perfect - a little delay on the way out because of overheating of sensors on the wing or something, and thunderstorm standby over LV for about 30 minutes. Yes, it was raining when we arrived! Returning last Saturday was just about a perfect flight. Norma and I worked crossword puzzles and I actually half-way napped - on a plane! 37,000 feet above ground!

This week has been catch-up with paperwork at the office, month-end payroll changes, etc. Our annual meeting was last night. I feel like all I do when I go home is walk Oscar, which isn't a bad thing - it's good for both of us. But last night it was 8:30 when we went out, and I carried my big Coleman flashlight to walk around the block. A good thing is that I haven't had to cook this week - yet.

***
So I am ready for "chillin' and grillin' " and laying back a little, and reading a book or listening to a book tape, watching the green scenery go by - on the road again.

Little celebrations.

No comments: