Monday, January 23, 2006

Seeing Our Daughters Mature

Teri was all about doing things to help people feel good, to love and enjoy life, and her legacy lives on! She would be so proud of her daughter who is being changed into a different young woman - still full of fun like Teri yet now even more thoughtful, serious, and introspective ; and my daughter, who has done a lot of soul-searching and seems to have a greater sense of mortality and eternity; and the same for Jean's daughter. We mothers know, like our mothers before us, that the younger generation has grown up in a different culture; yet the values we all tried to instill in our girls have taken root and we are seeing the fruit of those years of worry, prayer and hard work. Teri, I'm so sorry you are not here to see this, but I believe that somehow you do see it - you do know it. I am seeing in Tara, in Amy, and in Joy, the things I know I have felt as the years and decades pass by and life experiences add depth to our beliefs, strengthen our resolves, and help us show more compassion to others. (I am sure this is true for sons as well, and Teri has a wonderful son. I don't have a son, so I can only speak from what I know and see in the ones I'm so close to.)

Teri's influence lives on. She has given great gifts to us and to our daughters. She would be thankful.

No comments: