Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Ah, Youth..

"This is probably the last day I'll have off for quite a while," Amy said. "You want to have lunch?" She had called me yesterday and said she'd be here at 1:00 and she was! It is an hour's drive from her house, but it's interstate 99% of the way. She brought me a goody bag with a frog that sings "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" when you push its button, a red glass heart with a tiny frog glued to it, a bouquet of red and pink roses in a small vase, and a silver-framed picture of Teri's Winged Victory on the Beach. So thoughtful. So now I'm the frog and cat lady. I've taken up Teri's frog collecting and I'm glad Amy associated her mascot with me! (I also got the frog Valentine socks from Tara!) We took several pairs of pants to the consignment shop and could have looked around for a long time, but also had to eat in that lunch hour. Amy confiscated several tops I had meant to take; glad she could wear them. It was hard getting ourselves out of there. (I did find a cute jacket one of the girls in the office later bought, a size 4 of all things! Wouldn't fit me or Amy for sure!)

At Bonanza we ordered one dinner of chicken fried steak with cream gravy and French fries, and it was so good! While we were there, a whole team of basketball players and the coaching crew came in for lunch. Tall, skinny guys. Purple sweat outfits, and I don't know where they were from. Must have been here to play the local HS team, which is "blue."

After lunch Amy stayed at the office for about an hour talking to Cindy, then Carolyn and Norma about her internship and starting to work next Monday. She just sparkles when she talks: her eyes light up, her dimples show, she has the most joyous laugh, and such a quick wit! She had everyone laughing. In a way, it reminded me of when Teri would come by and just light up wherever she stopped to talk. We sure need more of that. I had noticed today how quiet it is, but it is that time of month when the payments slow down and the drawer isn't used as much, or the car drive-up dinger doesn't ding constantly!

She wanted to see her daddy, so I called and he said he'd meet her at his office, and she was off, taking that breath of youth and freshness with her, but leaving a trail of happy behind!

No comments: