Friday, May 22, 2009

Friday

When I got to work this morning, had some very shocking and sad news. Beck's nephew who lives in Vilonia died yesterday suddenly from a heart attack. He had just turned 40 in April. I've heard so many stories about this large and close family that it just didn't register. Beck's son Art, Teddy's cousin, had just been here last week to play in a golf tournament with him. They're the same age and grew up together. I know the family is just in shock, as her friends here are. Our prayers are with her, Trish (Beck's sister) and Billy Patterson, Teddy's parents, his wife Lorie, and their children. So many family members and friends. Please remember them in your prayers. And Mr. Buck, his granddad.

Our weekend plans include spending most of it with Amy. Paul's going to Fordyce to look at an old 1957 Ford truck (if the seller still has it) and I'm going to Amy's, then he'll come sometime tomorrow. Maybe she and I can see a good movie or just take a short road trip and stop at some outatheway place for lunch. No special plans; maybe even the iMax at Pink Palace. Oscar's middle name is go - he must have thought something was up when I packed his little bag last night; like he'd tell me! I told Beck my plans but that I wanted to do whatever I could for her, and she said no, there would be so many family members there. Carolyn and Norma are off today, too, but I know Carolyn already knows about Teddy. Just like part of our family; Beck is part of our family. You don't work with someone that long without it being so. We all feel each other's hurts as well as celebrations.

I haven't heard from Bren since she went home Tuesday; she said she'd email me and I haven't heard, so I thought I'd give her time to rest.

David (Paul's brother) called him last night and they talked a long time. Paul told him we'd be at Amy's this weekend. Guess he wondered if we'd be "home." Miss them all, but for now it's good being at Amy's house - not quite so far. For now. David and Sandra are getting married June 20; not sure if we'll go - I think it's going to be just a very quiet and simple wedding, possibly at the lake.

Haven't heard from brother Steve since he went to visit Andy in Texas. Probably will give him a call this weekend and see how he's getting along.

Sher and I talked twice last night; once in the middle of my cooking supper so I called her back. She's hooked on HGTV, the new buyers' show. She's still very satisfied with her house choice and all looks as if it will be on schedule to close on June 6. We talked about us going down Thanksgiving or Christmas, but then decided that sometime next year would be much better. Like for my birthday... She and I had seen the same picture in Southern Living magazine of an arched doorway beside a fireplace that reminded us both of her arched doorway and fireplace. She's been going through stacks of books and magazines about homes. Had heard from Diane, her friend whose mother died recently. Sweet letter, she writes like she talks; said she might just go visit Sher sometime. "You don't know how much you love someone till they're gone," said said. Why are all those nuances of a person seemingly hidden when you have them, and when they're gone you see, feel and know so much more about them. I suppose it's a kind of grace for those of us left here.

No comments: