Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mother's Day, 2008

I was up early this morning and met Jean at Richard's house. Since I had left four of the stem glasses last week, Jean and Paul said I should go ahead and get them, as well as the matching
sherbet/dessert stems, and Fostoria that Tara said to - whatever was in the china cabinet I wanted.
I cleaned out space last night and it is all neatly stored now, but I do want to use it. I'd told Tara that if Emmy wanted any of it when she is grown, she knows where it is!
I did some more throwing away and rearranging in the utility closet. I had bags of canned goods to donate to the food drive today - the mail carriers pick the bags of food up on their routes if you leave it by your mailbox on the designated day.
I fertilized the shrubs and ferns - it's the sprinkle on kind - and since it looked like rain, thought it'd be a good time for soaking in around the plants.

I napped after watching P. Allen Smith's gardening show on PBS.

I cooked pinto beans and cornbread for supper. What a fine meal! (We also had Hays's chicken strips and potato logs - one each - less cooking for me!)

Sher called this morning (Saturday) and had been to farmer's market, had fresh strawberries, heard musicians at the market and was on her way to work today. I agree with her: it would be so nice if work fit into our schedule instead of the other way around. The freedom to arrange your schedule around it would be great! Bren has talked about going to a four-day work week for a couple of years now and may do it yet.

It's been a cool day and birds are singing in the back yard. I was playing with my camera and had never used the aperture setting (for light/dark - I guess that's what it is on a digital) and made several interesting pictures. I really like this one - it just "pops!"


Amy sent me two Mother's Day cards with all of my favorite things on the fronts of them. Here's one...


Sher had sent to me a box of handmade/hand decorated "Ladybug" chocolates from John and Kira's.

And Paul washed my truck for me - inside and out - it sparkles, and drives so much better clean!

Tomorrow we plan to go to Iuka to see Mama Nick and Aunt Ginny. I talked to Steve and we will try to meet at the cemetery. I want to get some cut flowers for Mama's grave. The white azaleas are not pretty now and just about gone so I won't get to take some of those. Joe's roses are blooming, and there are white roses down the street growing through someone's fence, but I will just get a fresh cut arrangement at the store. In years past, I always cut a rose off Joe's climbing rose bush and wore it to church in Mama and Mama Nick's honor. This rose is one of mine beside the patio.

Recently I ordered bamboo wind chimes like I got Sher for Christmas. It takes a pretty good breeze to stir them, but they sound so good and "soulful." I like the combination of their sound with the Morning Mood she got me. There's another called Tuscany I'd like to have. They all have resonating chimes. I much prefer them to the tinkly ones, though they are pretty, too. The picture below was taken with a normal setting on the camera, whatever normal is - just the default setting...


I must go and bathe Oscar or we'll have to hold our noses tomorrow - we're taking him along for the ride - and then go get some buttermilk for the cornbread for our supper!

...and Only One Year Ago...

Georgia's first birthday party at Mineral Springs Park...


...a ride through the countryside near Woodall Mountain...

...we stopped at Pleasant Hill as we usually did when we were all together, to visit Goobie and Papa's graves... Who knew? Only four months later...
... we pinned a tulle bow in our sweet Mama's hair, gave her flowers... What a good little sport!

...spent time with dear Mama Nick...

...only one year ago...

No comments: